Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2009

Dinner for Friday, Sept 18 -- Keema with couscous

Since we're going to the balloon glow at the park tonight, I want us to have a filling dinner before we leave. That will make the festival fare less tempting. I’ve switched around the dinners that I had planned, and tonight we’re having a turkey-based Keema. Keema is a Pakistani ground beef casserole. But I don’t particularly care for beef. And we bought lean ground turkey meat in bulk at Costco for a really good price, so I’m substituting ground turkey for the ground beef. This recipe has been altered to make only 3 servings (one for me, one for S., and one to freeze).

Keema

Ingredients:
¾ lbs lean ground turkey
½ cup chopped onions
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
½ cup frozen peas
½ cup diced potatoes
¼ tsp of cinnamon (I omit this since I’m allergic)
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp ginger
½ TBSP curry powder
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

Direction:

Step 1: Brown ground turkey in a pan with the onions.


Step 2: Add the tomatoes, peas, potatoes, and spices (including salt and pepper).



Step 3: Bring to simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Add water if it becomes too thick—it should have the consistency of chili.



Step 4: Serve over brown rice or whole wheat couscous.


Recipe courtesy of Sparkpeople.com and submitted by QuiltBugJ


It's not the most beautiful meal, but it's very hearty and delicious!

No comments: