Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

January 2 through January 9: Vacation in Texas

My husband and I flew to Texas to have a late Christmas celebration with our families. So, life got in the way of training. And I had so much fun seeing our families, that I wouldn’t have had it any other way. For the most part, I’m glad that I spent more time with friends and family, and less time training. But part of me is disappointed. I had a lot training goals for this week that I did not complete. My plans for the week were as follows:

Saturday: cross train for 40 minutes
Sunday: 5 mile run
Monday: Strength training and yoga
Tuesday: 4 mile run
Wednesday: 2 mile run with sprints
Thursday: 4 mile run and strength training
Friday: rest day
Saturday: cross train for 40 minutes

The only cross training I got in on both Saturdays involved racing around the airport while wheeling luggage.

On Sunday, I missed my run, but I did have a lovely time at church with my parents. I tried to make up for Sunday by completing a 5 mile run on Monday—I ran to the bakery, picked up a cinnamon croissant for my husband, and ran back to my parents’ house.

Tuesday morning, we drove from Houston to Fort Worth to see my husband’s parents. After a long drive, greasy lunch, and filling dinner, I didn’t have the energy or the will to run or strength train. Wednesday morning, I got dressed and ready to run, walked outside, felt the freezing cold wind on my face, and went right back inside. In lieu of running, did 100 flights of stairs (1600 steps) inside my husband’s father’s house.

On Thursday, we drove from my husband’s mother’s house in Fort Worth to Austin to visit his grandparents. When we arrived in Austin, it was time to watch the UT – Alabama game, which lasted a lot longer than I expected. So, I was too tired to go run by the time the game was over. I went straight to bed.

Friday we drove back to the Houston area from Austin. We basically made a large triangle across part of Texas! It was a long and extended road trip!

To sum things up, I had a wonderfully exhausting week filled with excuses as to why I couldn’t go run. But these excuses let me spend more time with family and friends, which was time that I enjoyed and cherished.

No comments: