Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Monday, Jan 18 – Saturday, Jan 23

Last week was horrible. I’m not complaining--just stating the truth. It was, in fact, horrible. I only got in one good run, and battled the flu for the rest of the week (and the beginning of the next week).

Monday: After the 5k, I had Monday scheduled as a rest day. Even though I did not run the 5k, but walked it, I decided to follow my schedule and rest. My body felt a bit off, and I thought I could use the rest.

Tuesday: I misread my schedule. Although I only had a 4 mile run, I thought I had a 5 mile run. Since my dear husband was busy with school work, I bundled up, put on my reflective gear, and hit the road. I felt sluggish and achy, but still managed to complete the 5 miles with a 10 min/mile pace. Not too bad. After the run, I lifted weights to make up for resting on Monday. I went to bed early—exhausted from my exercises.

Wednesday: We hired a new employee at work, so I got up early to head to be at the office by 8:30 a.m. I was supposed to train the new girl, but our internet was down. Then, our legal software, TimeMatters, shut down. We spent half the day getting the internet back up and running. After that, I spent 2-1/2 hours on the phone with tech support for TimeMatters. I was already feeling physically exhausted, but such an unproductive day left me feeling emotionally exhausted as well. I was so tired when I got home that I just climbed into bed and did not leave the warm covers if I didn’t have to. Needless to say, my 3.5 mile run did not happen.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday: When I woke up Thursday, I could not move. I was immobilized by the pain in my joints. As humiliating as it was, I had to have my husband help me to the toilet. I just couldn’t get there on my own. My husband came home early from school to keep an eye on me, bringing me medicine and water. He turned the heated mattress pad on our bed up so the heat would help my aching joints, but nothing helped. I was a prisoner in my own body. I ended up missing work both Thursday and Friday. I stayed in bed all day Saturday as well.

But even though I was in considerable pain, I still felt lucky. My wonderful husband took such good care of me. He sat and watched tv shows on with me. He lay next to me and held me as I cried. He brought me Papa John’s breadsticks in bed. What more could a girl ask for?!

No comments: